Thursday, February 05, 2009

The Unexpected Arrival Of The Asian Cleaning Lady

So, umm.. I went to the store a few hours ago. Mainly just bought food.

As I returned to my flat, a sudden unexpected thing happened: as I walked into the hallway, I noticed an old Asian lady mopping the floor dressed in a red jumpsuit-kind-of-an-overall. She immediately noticed me and bowed deeply in that ever-charming humble Asian way. I just smiled back and nodded in return - then retreated to my apartment.

Like what the fuck was that? First of all - A) when did the landlord get an Asian cleaning lady? B) This certainly is progress since there's actually someone cleaning the staircases now! C) I wonder if she would be willing to do the dishes and vacuum my apartment as well for a moderate fee? and finally D) You really don't see that many Asian people around here. It's all good, though, cause cleaning is an important duty - too bad the lady is something like 40 or 50 years old, or something - else I would've tried to strike up a conversation with her.

Speaking of Asians, I watched Wong Kar Wai's "Chunking Express" last night. It was so worth the time just sitting on the couch and watching something as deeply profound and artistic like that. I'm not too knowledgable about Asian cinema anyways - and getting to know it by watching Wong Kar Wai's movies is not a bad start. I'm thinking about trying to search some additional movies of his.

No comments: