Sunday, February 06, 2005

A few words concerning the death sentence.

Hey , I'm on a civil rights/"what's wrong-with-the-society" rampage today , so would you mind hearing my thoughts about several other topics ? Sure you do , so how about the death sentence ?

Alright , time to unravel the mystery;


When I hear about the people who are against the death sentence , I always think about if their way of thinking would change when a personal tragedy would fall on them. For an example , what if a person who was against the death sentence would have his or her significant other , or perhaps his/her child murdered brutally by someone who would be catched in the end ? Are you telling me , in your right mind , that you wouldn't be requesting the worst possible sentence to fall on this person who took away one of your loved ones ?

Sure , you can tell me right now that "no , under any conditions that wouldn't be me acting like that" , but trust me , you're wrong. Know why ? Well , because neither one of us will know exactly how you're going to react in a situation like that. I'm pretty sure you'd be angry , and very much willing to kill the person who would've committed such acts against you and your loved ones. Now I know it's very normal for you to do that , since that's what I'd do. Don't worry. It runs in your veins the same way as it does in mine..

So , basically , people do not understand the necessity of death sentence until , they've potentially experienced the need for one. People that are against it today , might be for it tomorrow. And that's just the thing that changes your life. Perhaps I'm talking about causality here , who knows (one thing leads to another , but there's really no way of telling when and how in this case !?) . But I just happen to find it quite mind-boggling when , at one point , you're fanatically against a certain thing in life and then all of a sudden your view changes to the complete opposite.

The death penalty isn't something that's fundamentally a bad thing. It is a simple way of taking one's life to make up for the one you've taken. An eye for an eye. Of course , the age-old argument of "pretty soon we're all blind" could apply here as a counter-move. But still , even if we'd live according to the "pretty soon we're all blind if we don't stop this" - policy , then wouldn't we be letting the guilty go ? Wouldn't we be able to say that justice hasn't been served despite having a change to serve it ? I for one , wouldn't allow someone to kill my significant other , and just leave it at that. And when push comes to shove , I bet not too many of you people would be willing to let it go just like that either. Trust me , your (and mine as well) theories and firm beliefs rarely work out outside the theoretical field..

The people that have come up with the "if eye for an eye is the correct punishment , pretty soon we're all going to be blind" haven't (yet) experienced the feelings that come when you've lost someone really important to you. Like your wife , or daughter , for that matter. When someone takes the life , or the dignity of your loved ones away , just like that , you will understand. You will see death penalty a very natural resolution to the fate of the criminal. You will simply understand , that he has no need to live anymore. Preferably you would like him or her to be shot before a firing squad , or perhaps beat up really badly before the final blow.. But still , you'd settle for the more humane "a-needle-in-the-arm" - method. Afterall , anything goes as long as justice is served. You would settle for anything as long as the guilty would suffer.. Yes , I know.

I am willing to bet , that many of you would change your way of thinking when something like that would happen to you. Infact , I know it.

Your next question must be , what would I classify as crimes to be best dealth with by death sentence ? Well , do not worry , I'm not suggesting that anyone caught littering or vandalising the local bus-stop would deserve something like that. I am talking about crimes where you take the life of another man. These sorts of crimes deserve the death penalty as a fitting punishment. The death penalty should also be applied to rapists. And let me tell you , especially rapists and murderers along with child-molesters. These sort of people shouldn't even be considered human beings after their actions. Yet , some still do consider them as individuals with human rights along with a right for a free trial.

Any crime that , directly or indirectly results into a man or a woman losing his or her life should be met with the death penalty. Of course there are very unfortunate cases where men and women have been wrongfully executed. That is very horrible in my opinion as well. I have to agree. However , all I can hope from the authorities in these cases , is even more perception , accuracy , and resources when the investigation into possible suspects are started. I am truly very sorry to the families of the victims of wrongful executions. I know it certainly isn't much , but I am very much saddened upon hearing of such situations..

Finally , let me sum it all up by stating , once again , that I see nothing wrong in the death sentence. It is merely a correct way for murderers , rapists , child-molesters and the like to repay their crimes of the worst kind to the society , and more importantly , to the families of the victims. Perhaps many of you will disagree with me , but that won't really change a thing until something equally horrible will happen to you. Now , mind you , I'm not hoping for anything terrible to happen to you (not to mention a few individuals here ) , but I am merely hoping for you to eventually see how necessary this technique , unfortunately , is in our society even today.

Besides , why should the society repeatedly try to overcrowd it's prison system ? Why should they keep rapists and murders locked up in prisons for decades on end , letting them (in very bad cases) harass other prisoners and use up valuable governmental resources for something that could easily be dealth with by using the death sentence ?













No comments: