Thursday, November 03, 2005

Ball & chain

Exam week.

I went to school around 10.00 AM for the psychology test. The teachers spoke to me for a few minutes and asked if she could make a copy out of the research-essay I did for the course. I agreed to it since she told me that it would make a nice memento of "us" once we leave school for good along with the fact that she seemed to really like it. I had apparently done a good job.

Then the test begun , which was miniscule at best since the course was mainly evaluated on the success of the research-essay instead of the normal test. I was finished quite fast and then I went home. While I sat in the bus I saw a pretty fucking wacky thing walking down the street. I watched a 70 - year-old "army grandpa" walk down the street clad in camouflage clothing and a olive-green jacket with the Finnish flag sewn on it. To top it all off , he had a camouflaged baseball-cap on with army boots on his feet. He didn't seem like a neo-Nazi to me at all , rather like an old patriot. The sort of a guy who is still convinced , in this day and age , that our country is still the best and the people living in it are worth fighting for. Those sort of men are a "depleting natural resource" , I would say. And there certainly ain't too many of them left.

Anyway , I've been thinking about getting a weapon-license as soon as I'll have the money. I'm planning to call the local police station and ask them about how to acquire one of those. Unfortunately though , our firearm laws are certainly one of the strictest in the world , so I can't get a shotgun just yet. I'd need to have an officially licensed permit for hunting in order to get that Winchester shotgun for 500 Euros. That's actually pretty shitty and ignorant as well. I mean , if I'd really want to have a shotgun for the purpose of killing people , I'd just drive to one of the biggest cities in this country and try to seek out members of the "lower levels of the society" and purchase a firearm like that from them. And now , the authorities are restricting the purchase of shotguns etc. in order for the police to remain as the "upper hand" in domestic disputes with their weapons. The government's concerned about the police getting outgunned if our firearms laws would be more liberal.

So I'll have to start small. I'm going to get one of those 22. calibre rifles for starters and squeeze off some rounds in the range with it, and maybe in a year I'm 'good enough' in the local authorities' eyes for the bigger permits.

Once again , our country rears it's uglier side on me.

No comments: