Sunday, November 06, 2005

Storm damage

We had some pretty serious storms down here a few weeks back. Normally I walk around the countryside and inspect the damage fairly soon afterwards , but recently due to school etc. activities I haven't had the chance to do so. So today I finally did it and walked past our house into the woods. The results were somewhat horrifying despite the fact that no trees had fallen on houses , power lines , cars or on other valuable things.

About a kilometre away from our house there's a small road that leads to the woods near these two medium-sized fields. The road had a large pine tree close to it and during the storm it had fallen on to the small road , or a path more like. The path leads to a small fox-hole I dug last summer and now the road to my little digging-operation has been sealed from the outside world. The pine tree is at least 20 feet high if not even taller and there's no way of moving it away from the small path without the help of a chainsaw. Now , just for the record , I don't have a chainsaw and I can't get to my foxhole either. I doubt that anyone will remove the tree away from the path anyway since there's just me using it.

The storm had ripped smaller bushes and trees off of the ground situated at the sides of the roads too. The big fallen pine tree was actually the only large tree I saw laying on the road. All in all our 'neighbourhood' survived pretty well from the storms a few weeks back.

I haven't bothered to go any further into the nearby woods to inspect the damage yet and I probably won't , either.

No comments: