Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Basics of wilderness survival.

They've teached me how to sleep in holes.

Yeah , we've never known anything as civilized as tents. You do not sleep in tents because they are for the faint-of-spirit. That's what they've been telling me. And who are they ? Well , they are the guys I play airsoft with. Or , more like , the ex-guys I've done it with.

"They gave me a shovel and told me to dig". And that's what I've been doing too every single time that we've had to sleep out in the field. Luckily however , we haven't done that too often since I'd get pretty damn tired of digging holes in a few years.

But , how do I dig a hole for me to sleep in , huh ? Well , I'll tell you. First , you need a shovel and then you'll just start digging. Dig for as long as it takes for your squad-leader (or , if you're alone as I am most of the times these days , then your judgement will do ) to call the hole "acceptable" for temporary sleeping quarters. Then , the best thing would probably to put something soft to the bottom of the hole so that it'll be an easier spot to sleep on. I use branches from pine trees and birch-trees if they're available. Then , the next step will be to camouflage your little fox-hole.

Why exactly would I need to camouflage it , you ask ? Well , the enemy squad's still going to come and eliminate you even if you're taking a nap while your boots are hanging out of the hole. Although , I prefer to just curl myself up in the small hole and sleep.

But , in order to stay on topic , I'll tell you how to make a funny little camouflaged "lid" for your fox-hole. You can pull it on top of the hole while you're inside and hopefully it will provide you with some cover for the night.

Firstly go and seek some really long and thick branches from the aforementioned birch/pine - trees. Depending on the size of the hole you might need alot of them , or just a small amount. Next , you need to somehow attach the branches together. You can use all sorts of stuff to tie them together , or you can just use some sort of a cord or rope (if you're packing it with you , that is). When you've managed to tie the branches together your lid for the hole is ready. So , at this point , it's time to say good-night and pull the lid on top of the hole while your laying/sitting in there. Now , it won't make it any more comfortable , but that thing will be alot comfortable to have on top of that hole when it's raining , for an example.

Now , sometimes when you're either too tired or too unwilling to start digging a hole large enough for you to sleep on , this happens (and I'm referring to the picture on the bottom - no offense to airforce - personnel) . You just take your rain poncho and curl inside it with your rifle and sleep there. I've used my helmet as a pillow , but I'll tell you that it will surely make your neck so very sore in the morning. But , sleeping out in the open can be done really fast too , as you can see. Just be sure to seek some cover and don't decide to sleep in the middle of the road either. Or , very open areas.

Digging a hole will surely take several hours. But , it sure is worth it more than all the other options.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Itse ehdottaisin lähimpään hotelliin majoittautumista; sieltä sinua on myös vaikeampi löytää ja aamulla/illalla olet taas taistelukunnossa.

Use your head, man!!