Tuesday, August 30, 2005

29.8.2005

This was a pretty normal day again.

Although I did manage to score seventeen or eighteen points (I can't remember the exact amount) out of the Swedish listening comprehension tests today. That was certainly an oddity and I am a bit amazed of it too.

Now , those are the sorts of results I would at worst score from some really poorly done English tests of the same nature. And I mean listening comprehension tests. The one we listened was from a matriculation examination listening comprehension test from the year 1995. It wasn't all that hard despite the fact that it was in Swedish. Although I must admit that I had to resort to choose some of the answers at random. But only some of them. Luckily.

There was this one part of the test where we had to make out the general message behind a guy's letter to some magazine about his wife hitting him. It was all in Swedish and after the recording we had to answer the question - or rather pick up the correct answer from given alternatives. The guy spoke in Swedish. He really sounded quite terrified and scared of his wife. I smiled for some odd reason and did feel strong compassion for that dude and his problem. Afterall his wife was hitting him and he didn't like pain at all. "Sniff.. Sniff.. Please don't hurt me" , he cried.

He sounded like an OK guy who had just made a wrong choice in women. While I wrote down the answer on the sheet of paper I silently constructed an answer for him in my mind. He sounded like a small guy who needed help. I decided to advice him to knock the bitch with a large wooden plank or maybe a hammer.

Then the thought hit me. It was a fake recording and acting of the best kind. I felt a bit embarrased for it since I was already hyped up to send him an answer back labeled "hit that bitch with a freakin' baseball-bat if he touches you again , brother !". Luckily the bells rang and it was time for recess. I quickly returned the paper and rushed out laughing.

No comments: