Sunday, March 13, 2005

Running in the jungle.. AAAHHHH !!!

Yesterday I downloaded this "Portuguese colonial wars mod" from operationflashpoint.cz and must say , that it is certainly a freakin' good piece of work.

The only bad side in it , is that it's not ready yet. Meaning, that you only get to download a short two-mission "demo" of the whole deal. Still , it's pretty freakin cool.. Now let me tell you about the secondary mission where you're situated as a guerilla sniper in the deep jungles along with Portuguese troops as the targets. Your orders are to eliminate the Portuguese presence in the area and hide in the native villages.

Now , as said before, there's these small native villages all over the area. The first one I came across , had these freakin' unpleasant savages throwing rocks at me ! I did not like it , so I ran away due to the temporary lack of ammunition for my Nagant sniper rifle. Anyway , I swore to return..

One of the other unpleasant things in the jungle , is a two man patrol in a jeep. They just drive around the map and if they see you , they'll open up with that M2 machine gun on top of the jeep. Trust me, it will chew you up in seconds.

Well , I didn't care about that much... Since , that jeep had started to bug me. Where-ever I creeped along the jungle , that jeep would suddenly drive close to my position and open fire.. So , I decided to lay an ambush for it. Afterall , I had a scoped Nagant.

I crouched to a treeline , close to a small road near the second village that had (luckily) been friendly to me and had even given me ammunition and first-aid (they had a Nigerian medic over there armed with a PPSH submachinegun , but he didn't talk much) . I saw the jeep driving along the road again.. Approaching me with high speed.. I took a long aim with my rifle and lay there in the grass waiting for the jeep to get closer.

My first shot missed the machine-gunner , and apparently both of the grunts inside the jeep didn't seem to care much about their lives since they just continued driving along the road (in other words , they probably didn't notice the shot). That's when I flipped and quickly got up from my hiding pit and ran to the road where the jeep was driving along at the moment. I quickly aimed at the back of the jeep , and at that precise moment the jeep's gunner also noticed me standing on the road. He started to squeeze off some rounds from his machinegun but luckily , I also squeezed the trigger. I saw a small explosion , crimson in color , near the gunner's head. The bullet had hit it's target. The guy collapsed to the jeep's deck and afterwards off the jeep.

The jeep stopped and the shocked driver started to run away from the vehicle. I pulled the trigger again , and again. I didn't hit the driver that time , and lucky for him , upon seeing my sloppy aiming he did a sharp U-turn back to the jeep and drove away as fast as he could.. Shit , the one that got away.. Bolt-action rifles aren't exactly my favorites when it comes to sniping.

Well , afterwards , I ran to the body of the guy I had shot in the head earlier. When I got to him , I saw a pale , almost shiny , green beret on his head. I smiled , since I knew I had just killed a member of the Portuguese "green-berets". An AR-10 assault rifle lay next to the corpse. I couldn't take it with me , since despite my Nagant being a semiautomatic piece-of-shit , it had a scope installed on it and I needed one if I ever planned to get the rest of the green-berets operating in the jungle.

I left the body in the middle of the road as a memento for myself.

Afterwards , I disappeared into the jungle again.. I had the Portuguese camp located in my map now. And , I had orders to take it down. As I approached their camp , I could see them having a fire in the middle of the encampment. As I was observing the camp from afar (or , so I thought anyway) through the Nagant scope , someone suddenly appeared into my sights. The person was running like crazy and I realized that it was definately one of them.. I fired a few shots towards him , knowing that it wouldn't really hit him either way.

That's when he did his mistake. He shot at me and ran closer , then he crouched and started to crawl closer to me , I shot him the leg at first. He screamed , and I quickly loaded another round into the chamber of my Nagant with haste and pulled the trigger again. This time , I hit him the back.

The "Portuguese runner" , as I nicknamed him afterwards , was dead now. I found another AR-10 from him , but didn't have time to inspect him that time , since a salvo of bullets hit my position shortly afterwards.. Someone in the camp had noticed me and was after me now. I , myself , crouched behind a bush and waited behind the rifle's scope.. Waited.. For the other walking dead to appear on my sights..

But the question , my dear readers , is rather about "what happened next ?" Well , How would you imagine that it ended ?


Heh , pretty entertaining, huh ?

I'd give the mission-pack a 10/10 !

No comments: