Friday, October 28, 2005

Talking 'bout cars

A friend of mine bought himself a very cool set of wheels the other day. It set him back about 600 Euros but I'd say that by the looks of the car it sure was worth it. Basically , he bought himself a Volvo farmer - wagon that had been painted in camouflage colors and modified here and there. The back lights were busted , the windshield had a huge fracture on it , there were rust all over the place , there wasn't a radio not to mention a CD-player but what it did have was more to make up for all the missing equipment , I would say. The car had a searchlight from a real fuckin' tank on it along with these really bright lights situated at the back of the car on the roof. The interior decoration of the car is pretty awesome too although there seems to be lots of wires hanging around everywhere. Pretty fucking cool , huh ?

I drive (or am going to , at least) a modern Volvo and let me tell you , it's got shit when pitted against the camouflaged farmer-wagon. The coolness factor on the farmer is close to a thousand and still climbing. It'd be very cool to get my hands on a real army vehicle , though. My girlfriend told me yesterday that she's seen Russian UAZ - jeeps for sale at rediculously low prices in some auctions set-up by the military. One of those UAZ's would be pretty damn cool , although I've understood that they're real fuel-hogs. I wouldn't really mind the rattling and the engine noise , those factors would only create a cooler ride , but the amount of fuel the vehicle would consume would make me bankrupt real fast. All in all , I'm sure that many of the military jeeps etc. require alot of fuel but then again they're all pretty much ATV's (all-terrain vehicle) and don't have much trouble crossing hard terrain either.

Last time I was in Sweden I visited a shop that sold the Swedish army's various vehicles. They had camouflaged tractors , trucks , and these really funny looking "box-cars" going by the name of "Terrängbil" or something along those lines. Apparently that thing handles really well in some terrains , and even better than the American hummer , I've read. Plus , it's a really roomy vehicle that really has this cool "APC" - feeling inside it. You can easily fit a small squad-sized element inside that thing since it's been designed as a lightly-armored , all-terrain personnel carrier. The price on one of these "box-cars" wasn't bad at all but I'm sure that the fuel consumption on one of these things is just horrendous. It would a pretty cool "mobile base" for my militaristic activities and hobbies , though. I've even seen them for sale here in Finland and I've actually seen a few people driving around with one of them. It's a actually a pretty nimble vehicle for it's size.. And trust me , there's enough room for the whole family. When I looked inside it , the small compartment for personnel had these handles on the walls where you could rig up your rifle and equipment. It was certainly one cool vehicle.

I guess my ramblings on this matter are all dreams. I know I'll be driving around with my modern Volvo for years to come , but it doesn't hurt to dream. I've actually considered on getting a Hummer/Hum-vee/HMMWV but the price on one of those babies is just insane. Now sure it's a quality car , but the price-tags aren't exactly customer-friendly , if you know what I mean.

No comments: