Thursday, December 08, 2005

Insomniac's disease

I've been having real trouble on trying to sleep lately. Last night I slept for about two hours and a few minutes to go with it. Then I just layed in bed instead of trying to get some sleep.

It's a really shitty little disease I've caught here. And the thing that really scares the socks off from my feet is that I really don't know why it started in the first place. It has just gradually worsened.

The way it goes for me on a 'regular sleepless night' is that I usually go to bed around 00:25 AM and just lay there while desperately trying to get some sleep. There's just too much work to do for me in order to be able to get to bed earlier. Luckily I haven't developed those eerie red eyes yet that are like constantly staring at something and bloodshot. I wish I could sleep like the normal people , but somehow I've found it increasingly difficult lately. My sleep-rhythm must be really messed up.

I don't have the energy to write about the independence day either. All I can say in the most toned-down , calm and focused manner is that it's over and I'm very glad for it. The television once again aired the tired old "Tuntematon sotilas" - movie from the 50's and the conscripts marched in a parade that took place in Lahti. The president also held her annual "Linnanjuhlat" ("President's reception party") where the cream of the crop in this country along with government officials and the like were invited to.

All of the independence days in this country have been the same for the last twenty years or so. The weather is shitty and the television airs the older version of Tuntematon sotilas. I'm so very tired of this mediocre way of life in this country and the way it manifests itself here. I am a person that needs a bigger variety of things , I've just understood it. And what this country has to offer for me has long ago depleted. I also skipped a few lectures today in order to be able to get some sleep.

Anyway, here's a good book tip for you people; Arundhati Roy's "God of small things". It's apparently a pretty good one about marriages and relationships in the Indian (not American-Indian !!) culture. I've been thinking about getting this one for Christmas , maybe. Let's see if I come across it during my travels.

No comments: