Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Workdays 2 & 3: Unexpected assignments & forgotten parks

Me and my trusty friend, the fat guy, were ordered to this fairly rotten old park at the edge of town yesterday. It was located pretty close to the local water tower. The bossman transported us there.

Once we arrived to the scene, we saw the grim reality of our assignment: an old children's park located at the very edge of town - unlikely that anyone even used it. We started our jobs anyway, which was among a few other things, raking the yard clean of fallen leaves and branches. Pretty damn boring stuff. I did the job for an hour, and after that the bossman turned up again in his dark orange pickup. The fat guy broke the handle of his rake. The bossman told me to enigmatically leave my work as it was and get inside the vehicle. Then he just grimly ordered the other guy to continue his job.

I was then given a new assignment: a small apartment building located at the back of the city hall was getting its plumbing replaced. I was going to be ordered there. Luckily it was an indoors job, though.

So then I arrived to the building, and immediately was sent to work. The leading construction worker there had been drilling these huge holes to the floor, and he was searching for the exact location of the sewage pipes. I hauled all the small and large pieces of stone flooring and the separate crap out of the hole and the floor as he drilled. Then I had to drill a bit too. I was also ordered to put several batteries for an electronic buzzsaw for loading. The work was hard, but happened to take place indoors - which was always a bonus. I was also ordered to return to the site tomorrow - which I happily agreed to. I mean, just look at the options: either raking crap or spending time doing this sort of stuff indoors. I don't really know why the fat guy couldn't have handled the work there - which brings me to the main question: why me ? Was the post at he construction site a punishment or a reward ?

Anyway, the third day of work begun at the same site. I showed up at seven. Sadly the other workers didn't. Turned out that they turned up at eight - so naturally the bossman drove up and ordered me back to sanitation duties for an hour. He took me to this elementary school and told me to clean up all the trash around a certain fence. All these little kids were running around, but for some strange reason they didn't pay too much attention to me. Which is good.

As my work was done at a record time, the bossman finally took me back to the site. I proceeded to do pretty much the same stuff as I did yesterday, although the workers there broke up a few waste pipes which I had to carry out. You wouldn't believe the lovely odors they emitted. So, at noon we had finished. The work at the municipality-owned apartment was done, and sadly enough I was transferred back to raking at the god-forgotten park. It also started raining, and me and the guy just stopped working and started talking. We were even issued these disposable raincoats - which helped a bit in surviving the massive rainfall.

For the next three hours, we just spend talking about all sorts of things there. Forgot about work, and just let everything hang out. It was cool - and mostly important too. Then a few of his friends showed up, and my girlfriend showed up at the park too ! So, we just started to drink coke that she had brought with her and pretty much just chewed the fat, as the said. We all forgot about "supposedly important work" - but at least we had fun. After the clock was nearing 14:30, I split and walked back to the bossman's office and turned in the rake and went for home.
Anyways, that was for days 2 & 3. Tomorrow, thursday that is, I won't be going to work because of an exam I've got to take in the university. So here's me wishing all you a good time and best wishes until friday. Rock on !

No comments: